Alfred Sisley 1839 – 1899
Oil on canvas 46.1 x 55.9 cm
Given by Captain S.W. Sykes, 1958
Collections record: PD.69-1958
© The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
Port-Marly lies on the left bank of the Seine, between Saint Germain-en-Laye and Bougival. Sisley painted there from 1871, when he moved to nearby Voisins-Louveciennes, and sent two views of the town to the first Impressionist exhibition in 1874.
He first recorded the Seine in flood there in 1872, and returned to the subject after the extensive flooding in the spring of 1876 ; it the only one of the group to show the flooding looking upstream.